Eastergate Church of England Primary School
The first school in Eastergate, built in School Lane, served the community for nearly 150 years until the staff and children were able to relocate to a pioneering new open plan building in Church Lane in 1970. By this time the tiny old school had 100+ pupils and high standards were maintained despite the crowded, damp conditions.
To view the history and photos follow the link to Eastergate Primary School
Barnham Livestock Market
Opened in 1882, the livestock market brought prosperity to Barnham and Eastergate. In its heyday the Monday market sold in a typical year over 4000 cattle, 3600 calves, 30000 sheep and lambs, and 8500 pigs. The livestock were driven by local farmers and also arrived by rail. They were then transported all across southern England for slaughter. The Second World War marked the beginning of the end and Stride and Son decided to concentrate on Chichester. Barnham Market closed in 1949.
To view the history and photos follow the link to Barnham Livestock Market
Elm Tree Stores and the Collins Family
Elm Tree Stores, formerly known as the Smith’s Shop, has been a feature of Eastergate village for over 150 years. Named after the elm tree that stood in the square until struck by Dutch elm disease, the store sold everything from bread to coal. The Collins family has been associated with the store and the village for generations and information about both can be found here.
To view the history and photos follow the link to Elm Tree Stores
The Wilkes Head
Situated within the conservation area of Church Lane, Eastergate, The Wilkes Head is a traditional public house with a long history dating back to the end of the 18th century.
To view the history and photos follow the link to The Wilkes Head
To view the history and photos follow the link to Barnham Bridge Inn and Rose Cottages
Penfolds of Barnham
1909 saw the arrival in Barnham of James Lear Penfold whose family owned the Tortington Iron Works in Arundel. JL Penfold initially undertook contract threshing at local farms and sold and serviced farm machinery. However, over the next 50 years he diversified to found Penfold Builders Merchants, Barnham Transport Company, Penfold Metallising Company and Penfold Ready Mixed Concrete Ltd, becoming a major employer in the area.
To view the history and photos follow the link to Penfolds
Barnham Nurseries and the Marshall Family
In 1881 Ebenezer James Marshall, headmaster of Brighton Grammar School, bought a cottage in Church Lane. The climate, soil and transport links in Barnham encouraged him to set up his two sons, Henry and Sidney, aged 21 and 18 respectively, as nurserymen. At the height of their success the brothers owned over 300 acres of cultivated land between them and were the biggest employers spanning four parishes.
To view the history and photos follow the link to Barnham Nurseries and the Marshall Family
Barnham Junction Station and the Livestock Market attracted merchants selling goods associated with both agriculture and the growing community. The 1920s and 30s saw purpose-built premises replace the wooden shacks. Many of these buildings are in use today albeit with different goods and services for sale.
To view the history and photos follow the link to Barnham Road shops Part I north side
To view the history and photos follow the link to Barnham Road shops Part 2 south side
Set in a conservation area, the farm comprises three Grade II listed buildings: the 16th century farmhouse, 17th century granary and also a large barn/cartshed, plus over 300 acres of grade I farmland. Farmed since 1918 by just two families, the Robinsons and the Helyers, the farm is owned by the Ecclesiastical Commissioners and is earmarked by Arun District Council for housing.
To view the history and photos follow the link to Manor Farm
The Walling Family, Harness Maker, Boot Mender and the Silver Queen
The Walling brothers, Will and Cecil, were very much of their time and their story encompasses the transition from horse to motorised transport.
To view the history and photos follow the link to The Walling Family
This section looks at the development of Barnham Road, Elm Grove and Elm Grove South predominantly by Sydney Marshall’s company, West Barnham Estates, and by Harry Knight. It includes the 18th century Thimble Cottage.
To view the history and photos follow the link to West Barnham
Eastergate Village Hall
Opened in 1908 as a village hall and rifle range, this building holds a secret that is little known or appreciated. The interior is adorned with paintings depicting scenes from Sussex history. The hall was financed by Alfred Day who later opened Fontwell Park Race Course, Reverend Yoward of St George’s Church and Captain Orr Ewing of Aldingbourne House. It is now run as a charity with a committee formed of members of the parish council and hall users.
To view the history and photos follow the link to Eastergate Village Hall
Bognor Water Company Pumping Station
Formed in 1874, the Bognor Water Company sought to provide the expanding town with a pure water supply. This was discovered in Fontwell Avenue, Eastergate and, despite being taken over first by the Bognor Urban District Council in 1929 and by Portsmouth Water in the 1960s, water is still being pumped today.
To view the history and photos follow the link to Bognor Water Company
The Ball’s Hut Inn and Ye Olde Greenwood Café, Arundel Road, Fontwell
These two buildings have disappeared from Fontwell but were once well known to motorists, lorry drivers, cyclists and locals. The Ball’s Hut Inn (renamed The Fontwell in the 1980s) was demolished in 1992 and the Greenwood café tea rooms became a transport café and then the original Little Chef before it too was demolished.
To view the history and photos follow the link to The Balls Hut Inn and Ye Olde Greenwood Cafe
Disclaimer - Every effort has been made to include only images that are out of copyright or for which permission has been given for historical use. Much of the information has been gleaned from the memories of local residents past and present. The validity cannot therefore always be verified but is presented in good faith. Apologies are given for any inadvertent omissions, errors or inaccuracy in content.